Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Camping



This year we planned a fabulous camping trip to Monongahela National Forest. We were going to go horseback riding, rock climbing, the works. And then it rained. And rained. And rained.

I anxiously watched the forecast, and the week before the scheduled trip, we bagged it. You just can't do the things we were going to do while it rains like it rained that week.

We learned our lesson in Pisgah National Forest in 2005. D and I jokingly refer to that trip as "Water Survival School." Luckily for us, we had two good friends along to keep us company as we sat under a tarp in the woods in the rain. It was awesome to spend the time together--but the hiking, fishing, swimming aspects of that trip...not what we were looking for (we also drank too much!)

So we didn't go to Monongahela in July. September seemed a better bet, so we rescheduled. Then D's parents invited us to go to Mexico with them. We can't do both. We had such a great time there last year, and with the folks living so far away, a week with them is hard to pass up, so we pushed Monongahela off again.

The girls are excited about Mexico, make no mistake, but they were pretty bummed out about not going camping at all this year.

I made it up to them with a last minute trip to Mammoth Cave. It was short notice, but fortunately when I called on Friday afternoon and asked "What are you guys doing early next week?" a couple of friends jumped at the opportunity. Yay for flexible scheduling!

It was a blast. This is the third year in a row we have taken this type of trip (referred to as the "Not Back to School Camping Trip") with this particular family. The first time, R was 10wks old and D didn't go. It was a lot of work.

The second time, R was 14mos and bolting, bolting, never stopping--had to be in a baby carrier or under direct supervision every.single.second. I'm not so much that kind of helicoptering parent, but he is that kind of disappearing, climbing, launching from the highest point, setting stuff on fire kind of kid. Even though D was there, that trip was a lot of work.

This time...this time was different. R bolted, for sure, but he's learning to stay with me, and I'm learning how to keep up with him. He played at the campsite. He ate marshmallows. He enjoyed the company of the older girls. I had a few seconds to snap some pictures. I read from some books. I sat up at the campfire until we were all to sleepy to stay awake. I had a blast. It was the best camping trip I have taken since R's birth.



C and a couple of the other girls set up and took down the 3person tent with no adult help. They were cheerful about camp chores. They were responsible with their pocket knives (they did a lot of whittling!) They had a blast. T was pretty disappointed when it was time to come home...but I can live with that complaint.

We are going to take the Monongahela trip next year, but in addition, this trip was so much fun, I will be willing to take the girls and a friend (or a couple) on many more camping trips--whether or not D is available to go with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment