Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Diving Back In

It's hard to decide what to write about. I have so many topics, but I know I can't do any of them justice without more time or effort than I'm willing to expend....

What we're doing now:

Pondering space. T has just listened to The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. She has been creating a lot of space-themed paintings, drawings and sculptures. Last week C attended a simulated space mission at the Challenger Center. C's pre-mission packet was amazing--curriculum written by people who love the topic. She learned about longitude and latitude coordinates, cometary orbits, written and spoken communication, particle collection, and x & y coordinates. We also made a model comet with dry ice, soda, and sand. During the mission, the other kids and I attended the Boonshoft Discovery Center. It was such a neat place; we'll definitely go back.

The YMCA. T is studying Tae Kwon Do twice a week. She loves it. C is taking gymnastics. I have attended step aerobics and kickboxing cardio several times in the past two weeks. The Y is really fun for all of us.

Saturday school. C is taking a game theory class and a Shakespeare class. This session's play is Macbeth. T is taking musical theater. Her play is an original, written by the instructor. She's really excited about performing for the first time.

Girl Scouts. The other leaders and I have put in a lot of planning and work to get this Girl Scout thing going. We're midway into our fourth year, and it's going really well. We have finally figured out what we're doing (mostly!) I'm coordinating the cookie sale this year. I feel a little apprehensive about the work ahead, but so far, we're doing just fine. We're doing about one field trip per month for each age level. The girls are very involved in the planning and decision making, which is easier said than done, but the rewards are worth the effort.

R is really focused on light sabers and sword play. Gah. I can't believe I just wrote that. My friends who are veteran parents of boys tell me it's normal and healthy and ok. For the record, R is one of those kids who will make a weapon out of anything. His favorite "light saber" is the hand-held air pump that came with my new exercise ball (we use it as a seat at the computer--I'm not that devoted to exercise!!) His second favorite is a toy screwdriver. In a pinch, he'll use a tinker toy rod.

Home improvement. D and I have been using every spare moment to work on our bedroom. We are moving from upstairs to the first floor den/spare bedroom to give the girls their own rooms upstairs, and to give the boy the option of sleeping in his own room (also on the first floor.) The room needed some work, but neither of us expected it to be as big of a project as it's become. The discovery of mold behind a baseboard was just the beginning. I don't want to go into the sordid details, so I'll just say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we will hopefully be moved in by the time the cookies arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment