Thursday, March 17, 2011

Gardening!

Wanna see my beautiful cold frame?


D built it out of scrap wood--in fact, it's almost entirely recycled. The back is a reclaimed sheet of plywood that leaned in our garage for many, many years. The front and sides are made of 2x4s from D's friend's demolition project. The frames for the lid are from our old bedroom windows. The girls painted the beautiful mural on the front (it's Hecate's Academy, aka our backyard)with a box of acrylic paints they inherited from their Aunt D. We lined the back with the remnants of a roll of mylar we bought several years ago for our indoor seed starting set-up (since abandoned--too much work!) We bought the plexiglass and a can of whatsitcalled--the sealant coat (my brain is fried from hours of cookie sale math.)

We installed it last week. Our lettuce has all ready sprouted!

The rest of the upper garden:


It doesn't look like much. We've planted a few rows of peas, but nothing is happening there. I share so that in a few months, when the green has become commonplace, we can look back at the brown and be evermore grateful.

Isn't This a Dainty Pose (or-A Gratuitous Picture of my Dog...because it's my blog and I'm sick and tired of cookies and I'll put up pictures of my dog if I want to!)

No comments:

Post a Comment