If I were to rank in frequency order the common questions I hear about homeschooling, "what about science and math?" would land right after the socialization question (a required essay question for new homeschoolers.) It took me a long time to understand where people are coming from when they're wondering how kids will learn science and math without a classroom teacher.
Personally, I love science and math, and I love doing both with my kids. It is really easy for me to follow along with the kids' interests and provide content to further their knowledge base, or related content that might (or might not) spark new interests. The material is readily available, and much of it is low cost or free.
On Science Friday today: Rethinking How Kids Learn Science How important are museums, TV shows and after school clubs to teaching kids science? Ira Flatow and guests look at "informal science education" and what researchers are learning about learning science. Plus, what’s the best way to keep undergraduate science majors in science?
I think this Science Friday piece is a good start at describing our collective attitude toward STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) topics.
No comments:
Post a Comment