

A list of our current backyard edibles:
catnip
lemonbalm
mint
chives
onions
shallots
shell peas
snowpeas
mustard greens
oregano
thyme
rosemary
lavender
mulberries
black raspberries
clover
fennel (though our little start is not yet hardy enough to eat)
jack-in-the-pulpit (we have been very clear with T--our jack is not for eating!)
T always has been a big forager. She's been on a catnip kick lately. I can tell when she's been into it because it lingers on her breath.
R ate a lot of peas at first, but a couple of things have happened. I think the novelty has worn off, but also, the peas have moved from the eat-as-you-pick stage into the lightly-steam-then-eat stage, so my guess is he just doesn't find them as satisfying.
T is not so much into the mulberries. She is keeping close watch on the raspberries, though.
R does not yet know to discriminate between mulberries and raspberries. He loves the mulberries--and they're within easy reach.
We have several varieties of tomato this year, but it will be a while before we're enjoying most of them. The exception is the cherry tomato--it has about 12-15 little green fruits. T has a close eye on it, too.
It's funny how at first I found myself saying "get out of my garden!"...then I realized the folly of scolding my children for eating vegetables.
No comments:
Post a Comment